Pages

Saturday, July 05, 2008

In the News: Dubai residents sickened by sewage

Unfortunately, this story is close to my home in International City although, Italy Cluster has escaped the rising tide (knock on wood!)

Dubai residents sickened by sewage
by Andrew White on Thursday, 03 July 2008

SEWAGE ISSUES: Waste water has flooded an area of Dubai's International City for the second week in a row. Sewage has flooded an area of Dubai's International City for the second week in a row, infuriating the development's residents, UAE daily Gulf News reported on Thursday.

An entire car park, roads and pavements are now submerged under the sewage, which was still rising up from the drains on Wednesday, the newspaper said.

The sewage is now just a metre from the entrances of some residential buildings in the ‘England’ cluster, near one of the main roads, while the car park is also flooded with the waste water.

Motorists are being forced to drive through the pools and around the hazard caused by tankers that are working to pump out the water, while the smell - worsened by the summer heat - was attracting swarms of flies.

A spokesperson for the city's master developer Nakheel told the newspaper a team was working on measures to resolve the situation.
I live on the third floor so no sewage seeping into my flat (yet!) and although the smell is noticeable at times, I have not gotten sick. I am also situated towards the interior of Italy cluster at the far end from the sewage plant and my flat faces away from that direction so I am not subjected to the stench as much as other residents (thank Gawd!) I regularly drive through the 'lake' to get home and I agree with the one commenter that International City was very poorly built and the traffic into our community being routed through a gas station ... just plain stoopid!

Inside my flat is not without issues of it's own either ... odours from the drains, intermittent loss of water pressure and a bathroom sink that went from slow-draining to completely stopped despite several industrial sized jugs of 'liquid plumber'.

I was aware of the 'cons' of International City when I moved there (sewage, traffic, lack of amenities, lack of vegetation, dust, rats) but the big 'pro' was the affordability. Having suffered a bout of sticker-shock when I arrived, I made a conscious choice to move there anyway (translation: I cheaped out). In general, it is not so bad and the savings are worth the inconveniences ... for now.

Some links:
Arabian Business ... the article quoted above
The Gulf News ... more poo in the news
The Gulf News ... general information about International City
The Gulf News ... rats?! Yikes! The day I see a rat is the day I move the heck outta there! I have to say, that in my building, there is frequently bags of garbage left in the stairwells and around the bins. Needless to say I DO NOT take the stairs in the dark!
The Wall Street Journal ... some photos from around Dubai
Xpress ... bad bad truckers!!! Dumping their loads into the storm system. Much of the 'grey' water is recycled to irrigate the vegetation which is a great idea but now I know why it smells so foul! One morning I walked by some sprinklers on the lawn near Emirates Towers; the mist spread to my clothes and I carried around that smell all day! PU!
Dibaicity pretty much sums it all up

No comments: