Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

In the News: Tragedy a world away but so close to home

Wow, I can hardly believe what I just read on the CBC news website! I saw an article yesterday about a family in Calgary found dead but the baby had survived. I thought at the time what a sad story. I came home tonight and read that the media has unofficially listed the names of the family and I am thoroughly stunned ...

Calgary social services caring for baby found at death scene
Date : Thursday, May 29, 2008

A one-year-old girl found alive in the northwest Calgary home where three adults and two young girls were found dead was being cared for by social services on Thursday.

Police found the girl crying in her crib at the house on Dalhart Hill in the community of Dalhousie. In the same home were the bodies of a couple in their 30s, their female tenant, and their two daughters.

Police were withholding names of the dead, but friends and neighbours told CBC News that they are Joshua Lall, 34, his wife, Alison, 35, and their daughters Kristen, 5-1/2, and Rochelle, 3-1/2. The tenant was not identified.

CBC website is down but here's a link to the National Post story

I worked with Joshua for a number of years at Cohos Evamy, I knew him fairly well. I can hardly believe what I am reading! He was an incredible person, truly a class act. Anytime you asked about his daughters he would beam and tell you about their school or the places they went on the weekend or the gate he replaced in the back yard because the old one was just not safe for them. No matter how tight our deadlines were a the office, he made sure to be home in time to see his girls before they went to bed. He was very proud of his home. We often compared notes on home renos and tools and remedies to pesky mould issues common in older houses. I didn't know his wife well except at the Christmas parties but they seemed so wonderful.

He was very much involved with the disabled community and was genuinely passionate about making Calgary a better place for people of all ages and abilities. He had started a committee at Cohos Evamy to study architectural design and universal accessibility, I was on that committee with him for a time. He was a co-recipient of the Cohos Evamy "Iris" award for his work in that area. He crossed my mind a few times since I came to Dubai; accessibility is woefully poor here and I thought I might email him, tap into some of his expertise that could be useful here. He was someone who was going places and doing good things.

I called my old boss to see if this was actually "our Josh" because it is so out of character. My boss confirmed that indeed it is our colleague and friend. There's not much more information available at this time so one cannot speculate as to what transpired. I'm sure the investigators will do their jobs to the best of their abilities.

One small ray of hope is the daughter that survived. God bless her and keep her safe. As she grows up, she will have a lot of questions I'm sure. I only hope she will come to know her father and family not as a grisly crime scene but as the beautiful people that they were.

And to Joshua, my friend and colleague: you were an inspiration and a pleasure to work with. People like you don't come along very often. May your legacy be the good work you did and the friends you had.

Canada.com
Another one from Canada.com
Another National Post article
The Toronto Star

No comments: