Pages

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Home sweet home ... finally!

I finally got an apartment. What a gong show that was! But alas I have the keys in hand so ready to move out of the hotel tomorrow.

My new place is International City Italy Cluster. International City is a fairly new development on the west side of town between the fruit and vegetable market and the sewage treatment plant (fingers are crossed that the prevailing winds are from the fruit and vegetable side.) I tried to find a map online that shows it accurately however things change so quickly here, the maps cannot keep up. The idea behind International City is that it is divided into "clusters" named after different countries; the facade of the buildings in each cluster vaguely resembles the architectural style of the country it represents - England, Persia, Greece, Italy, France, Spain, Russia, China. The units in all clusters are identical on the inside so its really just a marketing thing.

The flat I rented is a 1-bedroom, 2-bathroom (yes, two bathrooms!) suite, about 800sf and there's a small balcony off the bedroom. The biggest advantage of this flat is that it was affordable ($1360CDN per month - by Dubai standards that's pretty cheap!), the location makes the commute a bit better and it is furnished. Although I would not personally choose an orange couch and matching orange curtains, they came with the place, I don't have to buy the big ticket items right away and its nothing that a trip to IKEA can't fix! Did I mention that it was affordable?

No comments: