Pages

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Hitting the wall

After a particularly frustrating week at work on a particularly frustrating project, I decided its time for change. Overdue actually. Long overdue. I could see the signs on the road because I have traveled this road before. There were other things to consider, though, so I "hung in there" but when ya go home from work crying, there’s a problem. I’ve been accused of being “unemotional” and “closed” so I am definitely at my limit when there’s tears involved. So change is in the works and I am moving to Dubai. Yup, Dubai. Perhaps a bit of background:

Two years ago, the winds of change were stirring up a long-time wish of mine: see the world!!! Take time off work, trek around a bit, learn a language, immerse myself in another culture, perhaps transition into a new line of work, maybe discover a new side to myself or one that has been long forgotten and neglected. I just needed change. I left my job, took some classes, explored ideas and possible new career directions but the world travels never materialized.

At about that time I was mentally packing my bags for South America, an old flame came back into my life whom I had always kinda wondered about. It ended on a bit of a sour note but thing were different now, I was different. I could hardly leave the country when “happily-ever-after” seemed to be knocking at my door! So I stayed.

Things with Sweetie have been going well for the most part but everything else in life kinda slipped back into a rut. Same old same old. Kinda mundane, kinda stagnant. A slow descent into mediocrity. Something had to give.

Working overseas has always intrigued me but the opportunity never really presented itself and I never really pursued it as more than as a passing idea. A few months ago, a former colleague from 8 or 9 years ago surfaced on Facebook. He’s been in Dubai and eventually offered me a job which I eventually accepted. Coincidentally, the weather here has been unseasonably cold so sub-tropical climate seems pretty appealing on those mornings when I gotta suit up in my parka/scarf/touque/boots/ski-doo gloves/long underwear ensemble and scrape the frost off the car windows! It's quite a production.

So that’s where I’m at today. Going to Dubai!

There’s only one drawback: not sure if Sweetie will come. I've made my sales pitch and negotiated and pleaded and even appealed to his entrepreureal side with a "pro-forma" of how lucritive it could be (but always with a disclaimer! Haven't actually been there myself yet.) The jury is still out. I believe he will eventually come with me but ultimately, he will assess his own situation and make his own decision. He has respected my decision to do what's best for me and I have to respect his decision to do what's best for him. In the interim, we will be far apart for an extended time me thinks and that makes me sad.

I guess no one ever said change would be easy.

No comments: