Pages

Monday, December 18, 2017



Tis the season for Christmas parties.  And to be perfectly honest, I am not a fan.  Small talk, remembering people’s names, laughing politely at jokes that are not funny, standing around looking like I have no friends … all super uncomfortable and I’ve been known to bail out on an invitation simply because I don’t want to do it.

There are some kinds of parties that I’ve come to grips with:  drinks with the team after volleyball, usually fun.  Visiting my Sweetie’s family, a nice time.  I even enjoy my own family gatherings now more than I did in my younger days.  If I see a familiar face or two, I can manage.  When I have a specific reason for being there, I can work with that too.  But work related, smoozy, networking deals … NOPE.  Not.my.thing.

Today there was a work-related lunch invitation that I was kind of obligated to attend but I REALLY did not want to go.  
I haven’t been with this company for very long but no one else from our office was available so I was flying solo.
It was for a project where my involvement is recent and peripheral.
Most of the other attendees are men.
My other projects have deadlines and tasks that need my attention today.

The whole thing was just awkward.  And in true cowardly fashion, I bailed.  Not proud of myself. 
One of these days I shall have to explore the reasons why I find this to be such an insurmountable challenge. I’ll need to hurry though, there is another company party this coming Friday.

No comments: