Pages

Friday, December 29, 2017

Manifesto Notes: A Life of Excellence?

What does it mean to live a life of excellence? Does it mean I live the best that I can? What happens when I don't live my best? What happens when I fall off that wagon? Does that then mean I can no longer claim excellence? How do mistakes and learning fit into a life of excellence? Does every human being set their own bar height as to what is excellence for them? Maybe the bar of excellence for one person is different than for someone else? How do I know if I have set the bar at the right height for me? Have I set my sights too high or too low? How does one deal with the judgements of others who's vision of excellence is different? Do they have the right to judge my vision of excellence in my own life? Do I have the right to judge theirs? Or is it more of a responsibility? Have I really achieved excellence if no one recognizes it? How do I deal with my own judgement of other people's vision of excellence? What if I can't even recogize my own excellence?  Does the acknowlegement of excellence by myself or by others change how it manifests? Does shining a light on it change it? Is excellence an internal thing, an external thing or both? To what end would I want to even embark on such a journey? What's the goal? Is it a goal or is it more of a journey? Or a point on a continuum? A set of habits? Can one's vision of excellence change over time? Does it appear differently depending on current circumstances?  What is the actual definition of excellence? Does one need to reach excellence in all aspects of life in order to claim it or can one achieve excellence in only some areas while other areas remain subpar? What is the opposite of excellence? Why strive for excellence anyway? What if the pursuit of excellence diminishes ones enjoyment of their life? Have I really accomplished anything if a constant pursuit of excellence leads to feelings of failure, anxiety, fear, pressure, insecurity, lack of confidence, paralysis? What happens when one's psyche gives in to those feelings of failure and gives up on the pursuit completely? What does a life without excellence look like? What does excellence feel like? Who among us has successfully lived an excellent life? Presumably excellence and perfection are not the same but in what ways are they different? In what ways are they the same? What if I did manage to achieve excellence, what then?

How does one actually go about answering these questions?

And what does all this have to do with dog hair?

No comments: