Pages

Monday, December 29, 2014

Update on my summer boarder

I was surfing Kijiji this morning and noticed that the lady who was boarding her gelding at my place this summer has put him up for sale.  The ad says he is "good to catch" which was a bit of a stretch when he was at my place but who knows, maybe she's worked that out of him since I last saw them. 

The ad also says, "he needs someone with more experience than me."  I sincerely hope that this realization came about in due course and not because of some grievous accident.  I don't wish failure or injury on anyone, but I can't say as I'm surprised that that particular partnership didn't work out.  She didn't seem interested in investing the time to learn to train him and/or maintain his training, nor was she particularly receptive to suggestions that what she was doing was wrong and maybe a little bit unsafe (although she had plenty of suggestions for me!)  Horses are always learning so if you don't train the horse the right way, the horse will train himself in whatever way he pleases and that gelding had things figgered out pretty quickly, even before he moved away!

There's a teeny tiny piece of me that feels vindicated that my instinct was correct, my slow and steady approach to horsemanship is the right one.  But the bigger part of me wishes her well and hopes she finds the right horse so she can fulfill her dream.

2 comments:

KateRose said...

I'm happy she decided to sell, I'm sure that wasn't a fun situation for either of them.

I don't get people who are receptive to suggestions though! I have met so many "experts" in the horse world who would have benefitted from opening their minds a bit.

PennyZ said...

Yeah, its probably for the best. And I agree, there are a lot of opinions and negativity around! The "expert by association" is my personal favourite.