Pages

Monday, December 29, 2014

Brag-book of My Herd

And now, at the request of my one and only follower (Thanks Kate!), pictures of my herd.
 
Cruz was boarded out for 30 days of "boot camp".  We made some good progress, I was very happy with how that went ... when it went.  Takes a lot of time and I probably didn't choose the best month to take that on.  But it is what it is and in a few months I hope to take him back for another month where we will do some actual riding.  In our last lesson my trainer commented that once he has a few more miles on him, he will be a really good horse; her opinion means something so that made me feel good.  I bought him on a "feeling" and frankly I was second guessing my intuition as I was discovering some of his little quirks.  But she made me feel confident that there is hope for our future.

This is Cruz after a good roll in the snow.  He's the most "rolly" horse I know!


Cruz all saddled up.  I did ride him a bit towards the end of our month in training but not very confidently.  He's definitely a handsome guy!


While Cruz was away, Cash needed a buddy.  The lady who boarded Cash before I moved him home was nice enough to loan me Buck for the month.  He's a lovely horse to have around, very uncomplicated, quiet, lovey-dovey.

I am using a hay net for waste reduction and "waist reduction".  Not sure they are terribly thrilled with it but it seems to be working out well.  Cash hasn't gained excessively, Cruz has filled out nicely and the pile at the end of the bale is minimal.
 
Cash was very snoozey yesterday morning.  So much so that I unblanketed him while he was still laying down!  I was a little concerned, that's not really like him but eventually he got up, strolled around and he doesn't seem any worse for wear since.  So I think he was just having a super-lazy morning (I have those too!)


A word about my new farrier: fantastic!  He came on recommendation from my Aunt who has known him for several years.  A few weeks ago I was in a conversation with Cruz's previous owner and another lady, she mentioned that she knew of someone that was really good and wondered if I would like the name.  I said that I thought I had found someone that I really liked but pass it along anyway, one never knows (farriers are a fickle bunch.)  She texted me his contact card and turns out it is the same guy! Ha!  When the farrier was out last week, I relayed that conversation to him and turns out that he was Cruz's farrier several years ago!  Small world.  Cruz has a few potential 'issues' so based on those two recommendations and seeing the results so far, I feel pretty confident that he is in good hands.

1 comment:

KateRose said...

Lovely herd you have! Cruz is stunning. I don't know how I missed this post, must have gone up when I was away for the holidays :)