Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

Iraqi Fish and My New Little Friend(s)

If you happened to read my blog back in October, you may remember a rather worrisome situation for my colleague who was visiting his family in Iraq. His father had gone missing.

Fortunately, after more than 2 weeks, he was located in a hospital, alive, somewhat disoriented but recovering. The exact circumstances of his hiatus are not clear but at least they have him back in one piece ... hamdula!

My colleague is now back in Dubai and back at work. Several weeks ago, he invited me for dinner at his home for some "Iraqi fish". Every Wednesday they have it (it is imported from Iraq) and his wife had prepared several other dishes which were very tasty (which I can't remember what they all were!) followed by some Iraqi sweets. We had a nice visit and I got to dote over his little son, Omar.



Omar is just over one year old now, cute as a button but a little wary of blonde-haired people (hasn't seen them often in his young little life).


Later in the evening, he warmed up a little. Plunked himself down next to me on the couch and proceeded to liberate the Patchi chocolates from their box.

Lucky for me, they invited me to stop by and visit again if I am in the neighborhood (which I may just do if only for the yummy food!) Ironically they live near the intersection of Baghdad Street and Beiruit Street. My colleague is Iraqi and his wife is Lebanese.

And still on the subject of other people's kids, another colleague here also sends pictures of his little girl, Lilly (but he never brings her to the office ... now how'm I s'posed to spoil her???)


No comments: