Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

Clean up UAE 2009

Last Saturday I volunteered with several co-workers for the 8th Annual Clean up UAE campaign for the Emirates Environmental Group. It was more of an awareness drive than an actual "clean up" but thousands volunteers came out so in that regard, it was a success (assuming they each take the message to heart.)

The UAE is not a particularly dirty country although, when you leave the city, there is quite a bit of litter on the road side which is a pity. There is a propensity in this part of the world for people to leave their rubbish around for someone else to pick up, usually a low paid SE Asian worker. I am still in the habit of locating the nearest trash bin for my garbage and clearing my own tray at the food court. The concept of recycling is in its infancy here but gaining momentum so programs and facilities are slowly becoming main stream. It still feels very wrong to throw a piece of paper in a garbage can.

For the clean up campaign, I took my video camera and created a mini-movie of our activities:




No comments: