Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Censorship

One of my friends back home recently sent me a link to join Flickr. According to my Google search,

"Flickr is almost certainly the best online photo management and sharing application in the world. Show off your favorite photos and videos to the world."
Sounds benign enough. I clicked on the link in the email and this is what I got courtesy of my ISP (which happens to be Du ... no choice in the matter, that's all that is provided in my building):


"Surf Safely!

This website is not accessible in the UAE.

The internet is a powerful medium for communication, sharing and serving our daily learning needs. However, the site you are trying to access contains content that is prohibited under the 'Internet Access Management Regulatory Policy' of the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of the United Arab Emirates.

If you believe the website you are trying to access does not contain any such content, please click here."

I have not used Flickr before, so not entirely certain of what I would find there but I can tell you that I have come across things on the internet (especially You Tube) that would raise eyebrows, even by western standards. But somehow sharing photos with friends is objectionable. Makes you wonder how they actually monitor content on the internet.

I'm also questioning the contents of the coffee pot that the girl in the picture is holding ... I mean look at her eyes, does she not look a little loopy???

No comments: