Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Wardrobe Watch

The rumour-mill is churning. Seems the big project that currently consumes most the office (and most of my free time lately!) is on shaky ground right now and another round of lay-offs is imminent (so says the rumour-mill). Black Thursday ... deja-vu all over again.

During the previous rounds of cuts, I was fairly confident that I held the immunity idol -- the projects I was associated with were strong. In fact, in the January carnage, our department let go of only one person. But things have changed. One project is all but wrapped up, others are officially and indefinitely on hold and this one is teetering on the edge. While I believe my name is not at the top of the list, there are no guarantees. I could very well get voted off the island. Or, if I'm lucky, I may be given a choice among a few other options, some of which are better than others. It will be an interesting week.

I have a theory as to why it has become known as "Black Thursday". The 'Thursday' part is obvious because ... well, these things usually happen on a Thursday (which, for those of you who are wondering, is the end of the work week here). The 'Black' part comes from observing the managers on these auspicious Thursdays: seems they reserve the same attire for lay-offs and funerals. Coincidence? Conspiracy? Company policy? I dunno. I just know that any morning I see my manager arrive wearing all black, I will go clean out my coffee cup ... just in case.

No comments: