Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Random Pictures

I bought a video camera in October but have barely used it yet. On Saturday, one of my few days off in the last little while, I was gonna go to the Ras al Khor bird sancuary, something I have intended to do for a long time. I drive by the flocks of flamingos and hurons(?) everyday and I want to get some pictures. I got to the sanctuary only to discover that my battery was out of juice :-( Yes, I should probably just stick to being Rhonda's sherpa. Ras al Khor will have to be another time.

For still shots, this camera is surpisingly poor. I think I will end up buying a digital camera afterall. None the less, with battery charged, I took a few random shots on my way home tonight.




The new Dubai World Trade Center under construction across the street from Emirates Towers. I can see this from the window of our offices. When I arrived DWTC was just a big hole in the sand. All year they've been busily building building building ... hauling, piling, forming, pouring ... but its still pretty much only at ground level.







Everything here that is green is irrigated. If not irrigated, it quickly tuns brown. The grounds of Emirates Towers are very lush and green, it is a lovely area except when the sprinklers come on at night. They use "grey water" to irrigate and the smell is ... uh ... less than fresh.




The shopping center nearest International City is the Dragonmart. Also known as "China Mall". There doesn't seem to be a very big oriental population here but those that are here seem to congergate at the Dragonmart. The bottom left corner is a bit fountain with dragons spewing water.



This is Russia cluster in International City. I do not live in Russia cluster. All that water you see in front of the building? Not really water. More like sewage overflow and yes, it has flooded that whole side of the street. Suddenly grey water does not seem so bad!

Italy cluster. Home sweet home. Well, until my lease comes up in May anyway. One of the benefits of the economic bust and the exodus of ex-pats en masse is the supply and demand graph is ever so slighty tipped in favour of the tenant and the ridculous rents demanded by greedy landlords a year ago are ever so slightly less ridiculous now.

No comments: