Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Locked out: A Keyless Saga

About 2 weeks ago I called the Mitsubishi dealership for an appointment to have the Pajero serviced, which was long overdue. This morning was the day to take it in. After an hour and a half search all through Al Quoz, I finally found the damned place! By this time, work was already calling -- three missed calls and a "where are you?" SMS -- so I hurriedly filled out the service forms, handed over the keys and zipped off to join the work day already in progress. It was a relatively normal day but then a strange feeling as I was leaving to catch a taxi home: I gave away my vehicle key which, unfortunately, still has my apartment key attached! Doh! How was I going to get in???

Plan A: call the dealership, take a taxi there, get my key and then taxi home. Nope. Al Habtoor Motors closes at 1:30pm on Thursdays (and customer service as we know it is virtually non-existent here ... no after-hours number, no answering service, not even a "call back when we're open" recorded message!) And tomorrow is the weekend so they will not re-open until Saturday. Doh!

Plan B: Did I happen to stash a key outside my apartment? I remember thinking I should do that for exactly this kind of situation. But did I do it? I couldn't remember. I remember having a mental debate of the pros and cons of a stashed key; the pro being peace of mind, the con being security. Obviously security won out. Or I just never finished that thought. Either way, no stashed key.

I was starting to feel very drained. It was the end of a long, busy day. What if I can't get in? Where will I go? I could call someone and ask to crash on their couch ... but how embarrassing! Will I have to wander the streets of Dubai for the next 36 hours until the garage re-opens and I can get my key back? The mental picture that was emerging was not appealing.

Plan C: If all else fails, go to a hotel. Just need a bed to sleep. Wouldn't be the end of the world. I've often thought I would like to stay at the Jumeirah Emirates Towers Hotel, maybe I could do that tonight? I hear it is very nice albeit a bit pricey! The same clothes for 36 more hours? Nah, go buy new ones, that's what credit cards are for! Heck, it could be like a mini vacation! Room Service, satellite TV, a beer from the mini-bar! Maybe this won't be so bad after all!

Plan D: There's a locksmith a few blocks from my building. Twenty minutes and 200 Dirhams later, I was home. I was kind of balking at the price but compared to Plan C, it was the more sensible solution.

As the locksmith was finishing up, the conversation went like this:

"Madam, we have 24-hour emergency service. I forgot my
business cards back at the shop. Perhaps I will bring you one."


"That's OK, I already have one. Maybe I should put it in my
wallet for next time (ha ha!)"


"Maybe you should put one of your spare keys in your
wallet."


Touché.

No comments: