Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Taxi Situation and Driving Lessons

I haven't complained about the taxis lately. That's because I haven't really needed them since I got wheels.

This week has been crazy hectic as it sometimes is in the Architectural biz, getting approvals (aka "No Objection Certificates" or NOC's) are an important step in the process and take a lot of effort on the part of we, the consultant.

On Tuesday we had one such submission to our Master Developer, I went to their office with our package of drawings, report, etc. The presentation went very well, I believe we will get our approval. Phew! Now to get to my next meeting.

The Master Developer's office is kind of off the beaten track and I needed a taxi to get back. The receptionist kindly called and then I waited ... and waited ... and ... 30 minutes later she called again ... and I waited ... another 35 minutes. Nothing.

I must have looked rather destitute sitting there in the lobby when a man who was leaving saw me and kindly offered to give me a lift. Oh hallelujah! Turns out he is the VP of Business Development, originally from Houston, Texas, a "sea-man" who has been all over the world. Always interesting to talk to other Westerners here and I sure did appreciate that ride! My disrespect for the taxis here remains intact.

Flashback to April when I was getting my Dubai driver's license, I was thoroughly frustrated, I went to the Traffic Department THREE times (taking taxis there and back) before they finally issued it! I have since come to accept that spontaneous rule changes and hoards of paperwork are a way of life here.

Yesterday, my office-mate from Bolivia was telling me that she is required to take driving lessons before she can get her license. She has to take a taxi to the traffic department where she boards a bus out to the driving academy (in the middle of no-where), drives around the course for an hour and then comes back. Twenty lessons! It is a well known fact that NO ONE passes their driver course the first time no matter how good a driver they are. I hear that anyone from the Indian sub-continent can expect to take the lessons at least 4 times and pay the corresponding fee 4 times ... therein lies the point of driving lessons. The Emirates may be "tax-free" but they find creative ways to generate other revenue streams. And I might add, the drivers here are not any safer for having taken all those lessons!

I was rejoicing in the fact that as a Canadian, I did not have to take any driving lessons, my Alberta license was transferred over directly. However, my office mate says that that has now changed. All new-comers to Dubai regardless of nationality must take driving lessons! Just goes to show you that no matter how crappy things seem to be, they could always be worse.

No comments: