Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

In The News: Flood in the UAE!!!

On Monday morning I had a meeting in Abu Dhabi. So I get out onto Emirates Road (which is a scary road at the best of times, even for Dubai) heading towards AD and traffic is backing up, more so than usual. I started to notice that there is some water on the road ... actually, quite a bit of water ... about 6 inches deep and getting deeper! The puddle on the shoulder was about 18 inches deep! Just when I was thinking how bizarre that was, I looked across to the other side of the road and it was FLOODED! Water up to the top of the 3-foot high concrete barrier and over-flowing onto our side!!! It was a lake! I tried to get pictures but my silly camera fell onto the floor where I couldn’t reach it and I kinda had to keep my hands on the wheel. I grabbed some of these from the internet ...






In the middle of the road where the light posts are, those are the 3-foot high concrete barriers that were acting as a dyke. I didn't see the source of the water when I was driving by but I did some surfing later:

... apparently it was a water tank that collapsed at a construction site near the road according to this website.

... or a burst pipe according to this website. UPDATE: Good old Gulf News has changed their article; no longer says it was a burst pipe.

... and apparently it happened “yesterday” according to this article which was posted on August 25th and would imply that this happened on the 24th (since I was actually there when it happened on the 25th, me thinks someone was fibbing about the “yesterday” part! The quality and reliability of the news here leaves something to be desired.)

Also of note in that last article is that, instead of showing photos of the subject of the article ... the flooding, the traffic, the clean-up efforts ... they elected to show a photo of the Engineer from the traffic department (RTA) whom gave the quotes ... huh?


Luckily no one was hurt in this incident and traffic was still crawling along going towards Abu Dhabi (but the other direction towards Sharjah was closed). The rest of my day-trip was uneventful.

No comments: