Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2008

K, Nuff' about the taxis, traffic and weather

So maybe its time to talk about something other than the taxis, traffic or weather.

Here’s a little bit about the new job:

My new job is with NORR Group Consultants International and our office is in the prestigious Emirates Tower office building (it must be prestigious judging by the retail shops on the lower levels … the less products on display, the more expensive the shop!)

I have taken over a project that is nearly complete (drawing-wise) and lucky for me the previous job captain stayed an extra 2 weeks to help me phase in. I was lead to believe that our drawings were complete however, since he’s left, I am finding that there is still some unfinished business and therein lies the challenge for me: finishing what someone else started. On the chaos scale, it rivals the traffic (oops! wasn’t going to talk about that!) My saving grace is that the project manager I am working under is hard nosed but a straight shooter. He’s very clear and concise in his communication so I have a pretty good idea of where I’m at. Such is the nature of the job.

The buildings in UAE are pretty cool. There are some “duds” (architecturally speaking … but not by NORR of course!) but there is no such thing as a plain ole “square box”, no lack of creativity here! On the face of it, some that appear to be rather ordinary actually have many intricacies that one must stop and examine to really comprehend. There are a lot of proposals and models and pipe dreams floating around that are purely academic (and are virtually unbuildable me thinks … but what do I know! I'm just an "architect"!) When I’m more settled and have my own car (instead of a taxi … grrrr!), I want to tour around and really stop to look at some of them.


I was told that NORR is doing the site supervision on the infamous Burj Dubai, known affectionately around here as simply “the Burj”. (Hmm, the Wikipedia article says something else; I’ll have to ask around about that!) If you are not familiar with the Burj, it is the tallest building in the world (for now!) breaking all kinds of records, I believe it dethroned Toronto’s CN Tower as the world’s tallest free standing structure not long ago. With any luck, NORR will take us on a field trip there however security around it is tight so might not be so lucky. I’ve driven by it a few times and it truly is a giant!

http://www.burjdubai.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Dubai

And on another note, Happy Birthday, Grandma! I believe its number 88 and she’s doing fantastic! Hope I can be half as well at her age. Also HBD to my friend Richard! I forget what day it is but I know it is around now and I think it might be a ‘round’ one for him (not sure???)

And on yet another note, it looks like the apartment deal might fall through. There are many unscrupulous characters in the rental-biz and my spidey senses are telling me this guy is one of them. Gonna let that one go and continue the search. I have another one to look at tomorrow, same neighbourhood, different agent.

No comments: