Pages

Friday, July 10, 2009

Sheikh Mo in the flesh

From time to time I go to Starbucks for a coffee with my boss. We work in Emirates Towers which is a prominent landmark in Dubai because of its unique shape and its location on Sheikh Zayed Road. Everyone knows Emirates Towers. I've read that the Crown Prince of Dubai has an office in ET so we are in good company. (I'm also told that there is a modeling agency in the building. On days when there is a model-call, boss and his #1 coffee companion don't invite me along ... cramps their style I guess.)

One day a few weeks ago, boss and I were heading down for a "gahwa oo Haleeb" (that's "caffè latté" in Arabic ... those classes are really paying off!) and as we approached the escalator, a large group of 25 to 30 local men appeared. Seeing locals around in their traditional local attire is nothing out of the ordinary but a group that size is unusual and a rather imposing sight! We followed them onto the escalator and my boss told me to have a look at the man leading the pack, its Sheikh (pronounced "shake") Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, Vice-president of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai ... affectionately known as "Sheikh Mo". Sure enough, it was him! Haha! Looks just the same as in the photos. No doubt some of the entourage were there for his personal safety but there was nothing obvious (no men in black suits with guns and ear pieces and shifty eyes); just a bunch of guys heading to The Noodle House for lunch.

I have only seen Sheikh Mo once before ... or more correctly, I saw his white Mercedes SUV driving down Al Khail Road one Friday morning. How do I know it was Sheikh Mo's? It was Dubai license plate "1". I suspect he does not pay speeding tickets like the rest of us and I think he was in a hurry to get somewhere that day :-)

No comments: