Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Case of the Imaginary Blankets

So nearly a month has gone by and no posts ... shame on me! There has been a lot happening in the last few weeks, where to find the time?

I moved out of my apartment in International City which went fairly smoothly. About a week before I left, the washing machine handle broke so that will cost me a little over a thousand dirhams to replace. Sucks but oh well. At least I am paying for an actual physical washing machine and not a figment of the slum-lord's wife's imagination.

A snippet of a conversation from the move-out inspection:

SL's Wife: Where are the linens? (since the apartment was partially furnished, there were some things of the land-lord's there, most of which I didn't actually use.)

Me: What linens? (remembering) Oh, the pillows! They are in the closet. (goes to the closet, opens door, points to pillows on upper shelf)

SL's Wife: Where are the blankets?

Me: Blankets? There were no blankets.

SL's Wife: There were blankets, you have taken them!

Me: Uh there were no blankets. Were they on the list? (pulls out file folder with lease with list of all items present at move-in inspection ... signed by SL himself).

SL: (interject quickly) Oh they weren't on the list.

Me: (puts away the file folder) There were no blankets (weren't on the list my ass!)

SL's Wife: (muttering under her breath) You have taken the blankets.

No comments: