Pages

Friday, April 10, 2009

Random Pictures: Tower Tour

I have been wanting to do a "tower tour" of Dubai since I arrived but for various reasons (such as not having a camera) I didn't get around to it. Today started out with an entirely different plan but as things often go in my world, I got side-tracked and spent the afternoon driving around and taking pictures. I'm not going to post a lot of details about the buildings, check facts, etc; that takes more time than I have right now but in future posts, I hope to do "profile" of some of these buildings with more information, photos, useless trivia where possible. They really are amazing when you start to look around here.

All the photos here were taken by yours truly. I state up front that I am definitely NOT a seasoned photographer so be kind in your critique! And of course, I am missing some of the other famous ones. There is only so much toodling one can do in a day.

So without further adieu, here are the results of today's adventures ... enjoy!


Dubai skyline.










Dubai skyline.











This is the one that started it all: the Trade Center. It was erected in the very early 90's when there was nothing around but sand and a road to Abu Dhabi. It was the beginning of a vision... but not necessarily a plan.


















And there she be: The Burj Dubai. Currently the tallest free-standing man-made structure in the world, at least last time I checked it was. It is scheduled for completion later this year. This is a project being managed by our people however I have not yet succeeded in convincing them to let me visit the top. A few base-jumping lunatics managed to get up there and jump. The authorities didn't really have a sense of humour about that and security is now pretty much air tight.














Towers towers and more towers! Business Bay area.











This is the building that inspired today's toodling! I have seen renderings and photos and thought it was one of those crazy pipe-dream designs that would never be built. To my amazement, its for real and its kewl! Its marooned in the midst of a massive construction zone, I had to trespass on some rather ropey construction access roads to get even that close! Surprisingly, I was not the only one cruising the back roads taking pictures and even more surprising, security was pretty much non-existent around these ones.












Jumeirah Emirates Towers. This pair are an icon of the Dubai skyline and they also happen to be a NORR project. The taller of the two is offices and the other a hotel. Our office is on the third floor. Unfortunately I no longer have a window office. Times are tough. :-(















Emirates Towers again.











Not sure what this one is but I like it.



Monarch Towers, one is a hotel, the other is offices.



8 Boulevard Walk in the Business Bay / Old Town district. Kinda plain-Jane tower you say, what's so special about it? I am moving at the end of this month (more on that later) and I looked at a couple of apartments in this building. Nice area if you don't mind the construction!



8 Boulevard Walk and it's famous neighbour, the Burj.



Etisilat (phone company) building near the Trade Center. I believe this is supposed to resemble an Arab man in his robe. Most of the Etisilat buildings have the ball on top which on this one is cleverly disguised as the man's head!



The Etisilat building from the rear. What's nice about this one is as a new-comer to Dubai and not knowing where I was half the time, this building was a beacon! I could usually figger out where I was just by which side if this big guy I was looking at. One of those small things that get ya by!



The new metro station nearest Defense Round-about. The metro is scheduled to start operation in September 2009.



Not sure what the building is (apartments?) but this picture shows a "wind tower". In the pre-a/c era, this was a natural ventilation system that captured the breezes higher up to cool the living spaces below.


Yes indeedy-dooo that says 35 degrees Celcius! Summer is coming.

No comments: